There are many reasons a person could get lung cancer. It could be genetics. It could be from smoking. It could be from air pollution. For many, it is unclear why lung cancer developed in their bodies. Although there is not a definitive way to prevent lung cancer (some things are out of our control), there are some things you can do to keep your body strong to help keep lung cancer at bay.
In this article we share with you some vitamins you can take as dietary supplements or consume in your diet to help prevent lung cancer.
- Eat foods rich in beta-carotene. Beta-carotene can be found in fruits and green vegetables. You can also take it as a supplement. Beta-carotene helps neutralize free radicals and oxidants in the body, which lowers the risk of cancer.
- Eat foods rich in vitamin A like carrots or carrot juice. Studies have shown that smokers who do not consume carrots have three times the risk of acquiring lung cancer compared to people who eat carrots.
- Eat foods rich in vitamin B like whole grains, beans, bananas, lentils and meats. You can also consume vitamin B through supplements. Vitamin B helps in the excretion of oxidants from your body. A study in the Journal of the American Medical Association showed that high levels of vitamin B6 could lower the risk of lung cancer.
- Eat foods rich in vitamin C like citrus fruits, peppers, tomatoes, and potatoes. This vitamin helps induce the cessation of cancer cell. It also helps boost immunity.
- Eat foods rich in multiple vitamins. There are many whole foods that are full of many different vitamins and minerals that can help prevent lung cancer.
Talk to your doctor about what vitamins you should take as supplements. Your doctor may think you don’t need any additional supplements but will guide you on what foods you should be consuming to keep yourself healthy.
Schedule an Appointment with a Tampa Robotic Lung Surgeon
If you have been diagnosed with lung cancer, you may be eligible for robotic lung surgery. Dr. Peter Mikhail is one of the best lung cancer surgeons in the Tampa area.
Dr. Mikhail is a robotic lung specialist and surgeon who performs robotic lung surgery to treat lung cancer. He will determine if you are a good candidate for the surgery. To learn more about robotic lung surgery, click Dr. Mikhail’s Tampa Robotic Lung Surgery page or call his office at 727-312-4844 to book an appointment or for more information. Dr. Mikhail has offices in Tampa and New Port Richey, Florida.