Lung cancer surgery is a big deal. Most likely, you are feeling a lot of different emotions including fear and anxiety. Minimally-invasive robotic lung surgery will have you back on your feet quicker than open surgery. You will recover faster and be in the hospital for fewer days.
Here are a few tips for you to prepare yourself before your lung cancer surgery. The more prepared you are, the less anxious you will feel.
- Ask your doctor as many questions as you can so you will feel more comfortable.
- Read and understand all the instructions the doctor gives you regarding your diet, physical activity, medications, and more.
- Hold onto these instructions and keep them handy.
- Figure out what medications you’re allowed to take pre- and post-surgery.
- Call your insurance company ahead of time to see what will be covered and who you can be expecting to bill you.
- Ask your insurance if it’s possible to be put on a payment plan, or if they can direct you to anyone who can help with financing this surgery.
- Let your employer know you are undergoing this surgery and will be out short-term. You may be eligible for short-term disability or the Family Medical Leave Act, which protects you from losing your job while out for surgery and/or cancer-related hospitalizations.
- Ask your doctor if you should start exercising or pre-habilitation before surgery to help you get stronger and more flexible.
- Ask about your nutrition pre- and post-surgery. You want to be strong going into surgery and strong afterwards.
- Perform breathing exercises at home before surgery to get you ready for the surgery. You will have to perform these exercises post-surgery, as well.
- If you’re a smoker, stop smoking.
- Figure out who will drive you home post-surgery.
- Figure out who will help you at home post-surgery. You will need help cooking and cleaning for a short while.
Every doctor and hospital are different with what instructions and prep they will give you. The above tips are just a general idea of things to think about and prepare for with lung cancer surgery.
Schedule an Appointment with a Tampa Robotic Lung Surgeon
If you need lung cancer surgery and are looking for a surgeon, Dr. Peter Mikhail is a robotic lung specialist and surgeon who performs robotic lung surgery to treat lung cancer. He has offices in Tampa and New Port Richey, Florida.
To learn more about robotic lung surgery, click Dr. Mikhail’s Tampa Robotic Lung Surgery page or call his office at 727-312-4844 to book an appointment or for more information.