You don’t have to be a smoker to get lung cancer. Lung cancer is the second-most diagnosed cancer in the United States. Fortunately, there has been a decline in new lung cancer diagnoses since 2001, which goes together with the declining number of people smoking.
As a robotic lung surgeon and specialist, I want to share with you some lung cancer statistics:
- Lung cancer is the second-most common cancer in men and women.
- 14 percent of new cancers are lung cancers.
- The American Cancer Society estimates there will be 234,030 new cases of lung cancer in 2018 and 154,050 deaths from lung cancer in 2018.
- Lung cancer is the leading cause of death from cancer in men and women.
- More people die of lung cancer each year than colon, breast, and prostate cancers combined.
- The majority of people who have lung cancer are over 65.
- The average age a person is diagnosed with lung cancer is 70.
- As a woman, the chance of developing lung cancer is 1 in 17.
- As a man, the chance of developing lung cancer is 1 in 15.
- Black men are 20 percent more likely to develop lung cancer than white men.
- White women are 10 percent more likely than black women to develop lung cancer.
- Approximately 430,000 people alive today have been diagnosed with lung cancer.
- 218,527 new cases of lung and bronchus cancer in the United States were reported in 2015,.
- According to the CDC, 153,718 people died of lung and bronchus cancer in the United States in 2015.
The statistics can be scary, but with proper treatment, there is hope of living a better life with or free of lung cancer. If you have lung cancer and are a good candidate, the da Vinci Surgical System, or other robotic system, is a great surgical option to remove the cancer. You will experience a shorter recovery time and have smaller scars from this surgery.
Schedule an Appointment with a Tampa Robotic Lung Surgeon
Dr. Peter Mikhail is a robotic lung specialist and surgeon who uses the da Vinci Surgical System to treat lung cancer. To learn more about robotic lung surgery, click Dr. Mikhail’s Tampa Robotic Lung Surgery page or call his office at 727-312-4844 to book an appointment or for more information. Dr. Mikhail is based in New Port Richey, Florida, and he treats patients in Tampa and Clearwater.