Any cancer diagnosis is scary, but it’s even scarier when it’s a lung cancer diagnosis since lung cancer is one of the deadliest forms of cancer. In fact, lung cancer has killed more people than any other cancer. Lung cancer is incurable. However, this cancer is also the most preventable.
If a patient isn’t operated on, he or she is likely to survive less than four or five years.
Lung cancer is most common in people 60 years old and older.
Since lung cancer is the most preventable form of cancer, what can you do to reduce your chances of developing this deadly form of cancer?
- Don’t smoke.
- Try not to inhale smoke or exhaust around you. Sit away from smokers.
- Eat fresh fruit and vegetables that are rich in vitamins and antioxidants that help keep cancer at bay.
- Drink alcohol in moderation.
- Eat whole grains.
- Limit the amount of red and processed meat in your diet.
- Limit salt and sugar intake in food and drinks.
- Don’t ignore chronic coughs, fatigue, wheezing, or blood in your saliva.
- Get regular physical exams.
Book an Appointment with a Tampa Robotic Lung Surgeon
If you’ve been diagnosed with lung cancer, your best bet may be surgery. A surgeon will meet with you and examine you to determine if you are right for the surgery. Robotic lung cancer surgery may be your best option to being cancer free.
Dr. Peter Mikhail is a robotic lung specialist and surgeon who performs robotic lung surgery to treat lung cancer. To learn more about robotic lung surgery, click Dr. Mikhail’s Tampa Robotic Lung Surgery page or call his office at 727-312-4844 to book an appointment or for more information. Dr. Mikhail has offices in Tampa and New Port Richey, Florida.